Family meals: Easy fish pie recipe
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves a family of 4-6 or makes 6-8 toddler meals
- 1kg Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and halved
- 400ml milk, plus a splash
- 25g butter, plus a knob
- 25g plain flour
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 x pack fish pie mix (cod, salmon, smoked haddock etc, weight around 320g-400g depending on pack size)
- 1 tsp Dijon or English mustard
- ½ a 25g pack or a small bunch chives, finely snipped
- handful frozen sweetcorn
- handful frozen petits pois
- handful grated cheddar
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas mark 6.
- STEP 2
Put 1kg potatoes, peeled and halved, in a saucepan and pour over enough water to cover them. Bring to the boil and then simmer until tender.
- STEP 3
When cooked, drain thoroughly and mash with a splash of milk and a knob of butter. Season with ground black pepper.
- STEP 4
Put 25g butter, 25g plain flour and 4 finely sliced spring onions in another pan and heat gently until the butter has melted, stirring regularly. Cook for 1-2 mins.
- STEP 5
Gradually whisk in 400ml milk using a balloon whisk if you have one. Bring to the boil, stirring to avoid any lumps and sticking at the bottom of the pan. Cook for 3-4 mins until thickened.
- STEP 6
Take off the heat and stir in 320g-400g mixed fish, 1 tsp Dijon or English mustard, a small bunch of finely snipped chives, handful of sweetcorn and handful of petits pois. Spoon into an ovenproof dish or 6-8 ramekins.
- STEP 7
Spoon the potato on top and sprinkle with a handful of grated cheddar cheese.
- STEP 8
Pop in the oven for 20-25 mins or until golden and bubbling at the edges. Alternatively, cover and freeze the pie or mini pies for another time.